EN120 English Composition I
Directions:Be sure to make an electronic copy of your answer before submitting it to Ashworth College for grading.Unless otherwise stated, answer in complete sentences, and be sure to use correct English spelling and grammar. Your response should be a maximum of two (2) double-spaced pages.Refer to the “Assignment Format” page for specific format requirements.
Comparison-Contrast Paragraph: You will write a comparison-contrast paragraph. You may choose any comparison-contrast approach related to persons, places, or things. You must demonstrate mastery of the following in your paragraph, so make sure that the depth (length) of your paragraph is sufficient to demonstrate these concepts:
- Topic Sentence – Be sure this is a general statement that identifies what you will compare and contrast.(10 points)
- Body Sentences – Be sure to select ideas and write sentences that clearly compare and contrast two persons, places, or things and that are definitely related to the topic sentence.The quality and relationship of these sentences will be evaluated.(30 points)
- Organization/Coherence: In comparison-contrast paragraphs, the organization of the sentences is very important.Be sure that you organize your paragraph in the best way possible. Select transitions for your paragraph that demonstrate your understanding of the order you select. At a minimum, you must use three (3) transitions to demonstrate your understanding of this concept.Highlight these transitions in yellow. (30 points)
- Language Awareness:Your paragraph should demonstrate an awareness of language usage.For example, your writing should be exact, concise, and fresh.(10 points)
- Concluding Sentence:Be sure to complete your paragraph with a well-written concluding sentence. (10 points)
- Mechanics and Grammar – Be sure that you complete the final step of the writing process:proofreading. Your paragraph should definitely be free from sentence construction errors and should demonstrate correct use of verb tenses, subject-verb agreement, and pronoun use; in addition, it should be spell-checked.
This is the end of Assignment 04.
Please refer to the rubric below for the grading criteria for this assignment.
EN120 English Composition I: Assignment 04: Comparison-Contrast Paragraph