Length: 2-3 pages
Times New Roman, 12pt font, 1″ margins, double spaced
50 points possible
As we study gender roles and social change, it is important to understand the agencies and organizations that work to either maintain the status quo or work to facilitate social change. To investigate these entities and the issues with which they work, I want you to select an issue and find an organization on each side of the debate. The instructions that follow will provide you with a framework with which to present the issue and its many sides.
Pick one of the following topics or suggest a topic of your own. If a topic you are particularly interested in is not on this list come see me! As long as there is a gendered aspect to the topic you can use it with prior approval.
- Mail order brides
- Same-sex marriage
- Bigamy and polygamy
- Fathers’ Rights
- Find two websites (organizations) that have conflicted viewpoints (opposites sides) from each other on your issue. Answer the following questions for EACH organization:
- What is its name? Who founded it? When and why did they start the organization?
- What does the organization do? How is it funded? How many members do they have?
- Who is most likely to be a member? Who is least likely?
- Address the following gender issues:
- What are the key issues of each side? What are their arguments for their side?
- What legislation has passed or failed to pass which relates to this issue?
- How is gender a key concern in this debate?
- Which sociological perspective would best fit each side of the debate? Why?
- Your paper should have an introduction, a conclusion and three sections with bold headings. The first two bold headings should be the names of the organizations and the third one should be called Gender Issues.
- At the end of your paper, you should cite the web address of the sites you used.
- Remember to keep your paper focused on how your issue is specifically related to gender roles, norms and inequality.