Your good friends have just adopted a four-year-old
child. At this point, the only socialization decision they have made is
that the child is going to preschool. Imagine that you are an expert in
your chosen field. Your friends have come to you for advice and to
devise a plan to raise their child. They ask you to be frank with them
and give them specific examples to support your opinions. They are
determined to raise this child to the best of their ability. Since they
are new parents, they need advice on everything!
The summative assignment is to develop a user-friendly PowerPoint
handbook of suggestions. The handbook will demonstrate your
understanding of the material by applying the major topics discussed in
the course to a real situation.
The PowerPoint presentation for the Final Project must include:
- Title slide (one slide)
- Introduction of the material for the new adoptive parents (one to two slides)
- At least 15 slides summarizing each of the items
listed below (one to two slides for each item). Please note that the
content of each slide should appear in the notes section, while the
slide itself should contain the information that would be presented to
- An image that represents each item
- Conclusion slide that clearly explains why the parents should review this material (one to two slides)
- Reference slide with at least three scholarly sources and the course text properly cited (one slide)
Writing the PowerPoint Presentation of the Final Project
- Summarize Bronfenbrenner’s ecological model and
describe why it is important for them to be aware of this theory (one to
- Suggest and explain a parenting style/philosophy
(authoritarian, authoritative, or permissive) that you believe will be
most beneficial for the child and the family (one to two slides).
- Explain which childcare (nanny, center-based, or
family-based care) option (before/during/after preschool) you think is
best for the child and why (one to two slides). Be sure to include
discussion of the social factors that influence the likelihood of the
family selecting a particular form of childcare.
- Share specific suggestions, including at least
two to implement safe technology use in the home. Explain how the media
can (both positively and negatively) influence the child (one to two
- Discuss the importance of culture and ethnicity
in the development of the self-concept. Share your ideas of ways that
the new parents can create opportunities for the child to learn about
his or her culture (one to two slides).
- Describe at least two researched methods to increase the child’s self-esteem and positive attitude (one to two slides).
- Differentiate between the importance of
socialization that occurs in the home and at school. Explain the
importance of each venue as a positive haven for the child (one to two
- Explain the importance of the teacher’s role in
the child’s life. Give examples of how the school and the teacher will
affect the child’s socialization (one to two slides).
- Share the importance of positive peer
interactions. Give two examples for the parents to implement at home to
foster friendships (one to two slides).
The PowerPoint presentation must include a minimum of 15
slides (not including the title slide and reference slide). Students are
encouraged to creatively address the material and include graphics,
visuals, charts, graphs, and/or sound. Slides should be designed to
clearly and concisely address the material. The PowerPoint presentation
must be formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford
Writing Center. Include a title slide, reference slide, and citations
within the slides when appropriate. Students must use at least five
scholarly sources and the course text.