- Review the agenda priorities of the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations.
- Select an issue related to healthcare that was addressed by each of the last three U.S. presidential administrations.
- Reflect on the focus of their respective agendas, including the allocation of financial resources for addressing the healthcare issue you selected.
- Consider how you would communicate the importance of a healthcare issue to a legislator/policymaker or a member of their staff for inclusion on an agenda.
The Assignment: (1- to 2-page Comparison Grid, 1-Page Analysis, and 1-page Fact Sheet)
Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid
Use the Agenda Comparison Grid Template found in the Learning Resources and complete the Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid based on the current/sitting U.S. president and the two previous presidential administrations and their agendas related to the public health concern you selected. Be sure to address the following:
- Identify and provide a brief description of the population health concern you selected and the factors that contribute to it.
- Describe the administrative agenda focus related to the issue you selected.
- Identify the allocations of financial and other resources that the current and two previous presidents dedicated to this issue.
- Explain how each of the presidential administrations approached the issue.
(A draft of Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid should be posted to the Module 1 Discussion Board by Day 3 of Week 1.)
Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis
Using the information you recorded in Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid on the template, complete the Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis portion of the template, by addressing the following:
- Which administrative agency would most likely be responsible for helping you address the healthcare issue you selected?
- How do you think your selected healthcare issue might get on the agenda for the current and two previous presidents? How does it stay there?
- Who would you choose to be the entrepreneur/ champion/sponsor of the healthcare issue you selected for the current and two previous presidents?
Part 3: Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief
Based on the feedback that you received from your colleagues in the Discussion, revise Part 1: Agenda Comparison Grid and Part 2: Agenda Comparison Grid Analysis.
Then, using the information recorded on the template in Parts 1 and 2, develop a 1-page Fact Sheet or Talking Points Brief that you could use to communicate with a policymaker/legislator or a member of their staff for this healthcare issue. You can use Microsoft Word or PowerPoint to create your Fact Sheet or Talking Point Brief. Be sure to address the following:
- Summarize why this healthcare issue is important and should be included in the agenda for legislation.
- Justify the role of the nurse in agenda setting for healthcare issues.
Atleast 3 resources used, please try to only use resources that I provide only.
The first attachment is the grid you will need to add to and I will send 5 sources to use and 3 other sites that will be listed below. Please do not use other ones.
DeMarco, R., & Tufts, K. A. (2014). The mechanics of writing a policy brief. Nursing Outlook, 62(3), 219224. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2014.04.002
Kingdon, J. W. (2001). A model of agenda-setting, with applications. Law Review, M.S.U.-D.C.L., 2(331).
Lamb, G., Newhouse, R., Beverly, C., Toney, D. A., Cropley, S., Weaver, C. A., Kurtzman, E., Peterson, C. (2015). Policy agenda for nurse-led care coordination. Nursing Outlook, 63(4), 521530. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2015.06.003
ORourke, N. C., Crawford, S. L., Morris, N. S., & Pulcini, J. (2017). Political efficacy and participation of nurse practitioners. Policy, Politics, and Nursing Practice, 18(3), 135148. doi:10.1177/1527154417728514
Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Enhancing Environmental Health Content in Nursing Practice, Pope, A. M., Snyder, M. A., & Mood, L. H. (Eds.). (n.d.). Nursing health, & environment: Strengthening the relationship to improve the public’s health. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
This is an example of a reply to another classmate Hello Steven, Abortion is a great concern in our nation and the fact that political parties are not sharing the same point of view creates a major conflict. According to the CDC since 1969, they have been conducting abortion surveillance to document the number and characteristics of women obtaining legal induced abortions in the United States (Jatlaoui et al., 2016, p. 1-41).The most difficult part of this societal problem is that the prevalence of abortion is seen in adolescents, and it is lower among women aged 2539 years (Jatlaoui et al., 2016, p. 1-41). The other problem is that a great majority of women seeking abortions are economically disadvantaged with no means to care for a child (Upadhyay, Weitz, Jones, Barar, & Foster, 2014).In conclusion I believe that our government needs to come together to solve this problem by educating not only the individuals in the schools setting but to use the one tool that brings this population together social media to raise awareness of the risk factors involved in having an abortion.ReferenceJatlaoui, T. C., Eckhaus, L., Mandel, M. G., Nguyen, A., Oduyebo, T., Petersen, E., & Whiteman, M. K. (2019). Abortion Surveillance — United States, 2016. MMWR Surveillance Summaries, 68(11), 141. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6811a1Upadhyay, U. D., Weitz, T. A., Jones, R. K., Barar, R. E., & Foster, D. G. (2014). Denial of Abortion Because of Provider Gestational Age Limits in the United States. American Journal of Public Health, 104(9), 16871694. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.2105/AJP…