For your Competency Discussion, identify and review an evidence-based practice or decision in a healthcare facility with which you are familiar. One example of an evidence-based practice would be the management guidelines for the COVID-19 pandemic in a hospital setting which recommends the use of high-filtration masks including N95, goggles, and gowns by healthcare professionals when having direct contact (within 3 6 feet) with infected patients. Reflect on your findings regarding the evidence-based data and how the data influenced the decision or practice you identified. Then, think about the advantages and disadvantages to finding the data to support the decision or practice. What are the barriers to finding and using data?
To begin this Competency and meet your required engagement, post in the Discussion area a brief description of the evidence-based practice or decision you identified. Next, explain your findings regarding the evidence-based data and how the data influenced the decision or practice you identified. Then, describe the advantages and disadvantages of finding the data to support the decision or practice including any barriers to finding and using the data. Finally, explain what the advantages, disadvantages, and barriers are to using data in decision making for healthcare leaders. Be sure to cite the appropriate sources in your response.
In this Assessment, you will evaluate clinical and administrative data to support evidence-based decisions that affect healthcare organizations and patient care.
To complete this Assessment:
- Download the Academic Writing Expectations Checklist to use as a guide when completing your Assessment. Responses that do not meet the expectations of scholarly writing will be returned without scoring. Properly formatted APA citations and references must be provided, where appropriate.
- Be sure to use scholarly academic resources as specified in the rubric. This means using Walden Library databases to obtain peer reviewed articles. Additionally, .gov (government expert sources) are a quality resource option. Note: Internet and .com sources do not meet this requirement. Contact your coach or SME for guidance on using Library Databases.
- Carefully review the rubric for the Assessment as part of your preparation to complete your Assessment work.
This Assessment requires submission of one (1) narrated slide presentation. Save this file as OM009_firstinitial_lastname (for example, OM009_J_Smith).
You may submit a draft of your assignment to the Turnitin Draft Check area to check for authenticity. When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the assessor will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
Access the following to complete this Assessment:
Read the case study and prepare a narrated presentation that will guide the CEO and board of directors to follow the recommendation presented to expand the hospitals ICU unit. As you complete the Assessment, be sure that the presentation:
- Includes the elements necessary to effectively communicate the data used to develop the business case.
- Provides a clear evidence-based, data-driven recommendation regarding the expansion of the hospitals ICU.
- Provides an opportunity statement that presents the problem, the recommendation presented to solve the problem, and the multiple options considered.
- Takes into account the needs of the community, the patients, and the hospital when researching and presenting your findings.
Your narrated presentation should contain references to academic resources and include the following:
- Explain the importance of evidence-based decision making in healthcare. Your slide must include (1 slide):
- A definition of evidence-based decision making.
- An explanation of the relevance of evidence-based decision making in the healthcare industry.
- Using the data provided, analyze the current and future state of the ICU. Consider three scenarios for the future state, one without additional beds and two with additional beds. Based on your research and analysis, determine two viable scenarios for bed count and present these scenarios. Use graphics, text, and charts as required (811 slides). Be sure to cite your sources as needed.
- The slides should include:
- An overview of three options for the ICU that you analyzed.
- In your narration, be sure to provide a thorough analysis of the three options and refer to academic resources to support your options.
- A description of how each option will address the issues in the ICU.
- The presenters narration should provide a detailed explanation of how each option will address the issues in the ICU.
- A graphic comparison between the current state of the ICU versus the remote monitoring ICU implementation in 5 years.
- A final recommendation for one of the options and an explanation of why it will maximize the benefits to the hospital, patients, and community.
- The slide narration should include:
- A detailed rationale justifying your recommendation.
- The presenter notes should include citations for the sources of your graphics.
- An explanation of the impact of your recommendation on staffing, productivity, competitiveness, and finances, using appropriate qualitative and quantitative data to support your explanation.
- The presenters narration should include an explanation regarding how the data supports your explanation.
- Knowing that United Generals leadership team focuses on evidence-based decision making, address the following, in 34 slides:
- Summarize the evidence used in developing the opportunity statement and recommendation.
- Describe why each piece of evidence is relevant to patients, the community, and the hospital.
- Summarize the analysis used to create the recommendation.
- Evaluate the validity and reliability of the data.