Paper must be in House Original, due 10/12/18,Ref. Sheet, APA formatted
Week 5 – Final Paper
Analyzing Reasoning on Both Sides
This final writing assignment allows you to present an analysis of the best reasoning on each side of your issue. In the process, you will get to demonstrate some of the key skills you have learned during this course. In particular, you will demonstrate the ability to create high-quality arguments on both sides of an issue, to support your reasoning with scholarly sources, and to provide a fair analysis of the strength of the reasoning on each side. For an example of how to complete this paper, take a look at the paper.
Your paper must include the following sections, clearly labeled:
o Introduce readers to your topic; include a brief preview of what you will accomplish in this paper. (approximately 150 words)
· First Argument
o Present the best argument on one side of the issue. (approximately 150 words)
§ Express your argument in standard form, with the premises listed one by one above the conclusion.
· Defense for First Argument
o Support the first argument as well as you can, using academic sources to demonstrate the truth of key premises. You may also choose to clarify the meaning of key premises and to explain how your reasoning supports the conclusion (approximately 250 words).
· Opposing Argument
o Present the best argument on the other side of the issue (approximately 150 words).
§ Express your argument in standard form.
· Defense of Opposing Argument
o Support the opposing argument as well as you can, using academic sources to demonstrate the truth of key premises. You are welcome as well to clarify the meaning of premises and/or to explain the reasoning further (approximately 250 words).
· Analysis of the Reasoning (approximately 350 words)
o Evaluate the quality of each argument, addressing whether key premises are true and whether the conclusion logically follows from them.
o Analyze arguments for any fallacies committed or for any biases that may influence either side. Do you feel that one argument makes a much stronger case than the other and why? (There is no need to “take sides,” only to assess the quality of the arguments.)
o Support your analysis with scholarly sources.
· Conclusion (approximately 150 words)
o Provide a brief conclusion and summary of your issue and how it can best be addressed by critical thinker.
The Analyzing Reasoning on Both Sides paper
· Must be 1,000 to 2,000 words in length (not including title and references pages), double-spaced, and formatted according to APA style as outlined.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
· Must use at least three scholarly sources in addition to the course text. The
o table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
o The tutorial will offer further assistance with including supporting information and reasoning.
· Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style. See the resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications. Can also assist with searching for articles.