- Why do people often combine two or more different faithslike Paganism and Christianitywhen combating witchcraft ?
- How can magic, like curses and hexes, have a physiological and/or psychological effect?
- Why did Anthropologist, Dr. Edward Evans Pritchard, eventually start consulting with an oracle in his personal life?
- Dr. Isac Niehaus explains that in some cultures, like in Zimbabwe, witchcraft can be unknowingly activated by what?
- How is witch “cleansing” used in Zaka village society, and in other similar villages that believe in witchcraft?
- Fill in the blank:
a) Accusations of witchcraft often bring to the surface the social _________ that already existed.
b) In order to leave the village happy, peaceful, and unified, witches are usually not punished, but instead treated more like a mentally ill person and encouraged to ask the public/community for _________.
- In Europe and the U.S., how (and of whom) did the church use accusations of witchcraft?
- In Europe, what do wiccans believe they have to do in order to gain the power of magic?
- Why does the pagan witch Nathan use a psalm from the bible? How does he explain it?
- What is Beltane? Why is it so important to European witches?
- Explain how the recent Coronavirus Pandemic has changed your viewpoint, belief, or understanding of health and illness
- During the synchronous session I got the notion that this might be a lot of information for many of you, so I am reducing the ethnography reading this week. Questions only come from the “Shaman” article. The Viral Superhighway is still included for optional reading. The questions are as follows:
Shamans1. The author Mark Plotkins, experienced which kind of a shaman trance/session where he “lay face down” and “died” on the forest floor? What is the name of the ceremony/medicine (1 pt)?
2. Who or what are the Evenk, and how do they contribute to shamanism (2 pts)?
3. “The shaman’s genius as a healer stems from his (or her) ability to combine” which two aspects of healing (1 pt) ?
4. How does the “Western medicine tendency to adopt a reductionist approach . . . underestimate or even deny the shaman’s healing wisdom” (1 pt)?
5. The article lists at least 5 different ways in which the shaman (each worth 1pt for 5 total points)?