Part one: To prepare for this Discussion : Reflecting on Childhood and Adolescent Human Development
Review your Learning Resources as you:
- Consider the many theories and research regarding the development of infants, children, and adolescents.
- Consider the contexts of development and how they help to shape who we become.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post three concepts (e.g., temperament, attachment) or research findings (e.g., outcomes associated with bullying) that most surprised you. Begin by briefly explaining the concepts or research findings for your classmates. Then, for each concept or finding, describe how this new knowledge will help to guide you as a parent or professional. End your post by noting the specific developmental period and topic you found most interesting in this course, and why.
Part two: To prepare for the Assignment: Do Parents Matter?
- Review your course text readings from previous weeks, paying particular attention to any research related to parents roles. Focus on content that addresses early attachment, parenting styles, and discipline.
- Review the articles Do Parents Matter and Developmental Interplay Between Childrens Biobehavioral Risk and the Parenting Environment From Toddler to Early School Age: Prediction of Socialization Outcomes in Preadolescence.
- After reviewing the academic information available, formulate your own opinion on this topic.
The Assignment (56 pages):
- Summarize the research on the impact of temperament on development. This should include how it might shape our interactions with parents, peers, and in the school environment.
- Summarize the research concerning the impact of parents. This should include the formation of secure/insecure attachments during infancy and the impact this may have on later development. What impact do parenting styles and ongoing monitoring during middle childhood and adolescence have on development?
- Summarize the impact of parenting styles and ongoing monitoring during middle childhood and adolescence on development.
- Summarize the research on the impact of peers, including early play, friendships, and the negative side of peer interactions (e.g., rejection and bullying) on development.
- Compare the arguments of Harris in the Gladwells blog post, Do Parents Matter? and those of the authors of Developmental Interplay Between Childrens Biobehavioral Risk and the Parenting Environment From Toddler to Early School Age: Prediction of Socialization Outcomes in Preadolescence.
- Consider the relative influence of all of these factors as you state your educated opinion of whether or not parents matter. Be sure to respond to all six questions in this assignment because this is worth 160 points on my grade. Thanks Brenda