1) What are the defining symptoms of schizoaffective disorder?
2) John is a 20 year old college student who has begun complaining that there were spiders in his room every night. Despite his roommates assurance that he has checked and there are no spiders, John insists on staying awake all night. John later reports to his counselor that the spiders have been telling him that his professors are failing him because they are afraid of his genius. What is Johns diagnosis?
3) What are Johns defining symptoms of his disorder?
4) George is a 60 year old man who for the past 2 years has been exhibiting high energy, rapid, pressured speech. His wife complains that he starts many projects but never finishes anything. George reports that he no longer needs sleep because he is God. What would be Georges diagnosis?
5) David has difficulty getting out of bed to go to work and has missed several days of work. He has lost interest in reading and playing sports, which used to be his favorite activities. He has lost his appetite and has lost 30 pounds in the last two months. He has been diagnosed with major depression. What are his core symptoms?
6) What is Assisted Outpatient Treatment?
7) Sean describes himself as having hardly ever been happy. He occasionally feels okay, but it never lasts more than a day or so. He has trouble sleeping, doesn’t eat much, and feels like nothing will ever change in his life. He says this has been going on for as long as he can remember. The best diagnosis for Sean is and why?
8) Describe the differences between cyclothymic disorder and bipolar disorder.
9) Identify 2 positive symptoms of schizophrenia and 2 negative symptoms of schizophrenia.
10) The main difference between a manic episode and a hypomanic episode is:
Short Answer 2:
- Describe the best treatment protocols for the following disorders. In your response explain why this treatment is the best.
- Denise is a 37 years old female who has been experiencing increased feelings of hopelessness, helplessness and guilt. She also reports feelings of irritability, and sadness. She reports not being able to go to work and has lost 20 pounds in the past month. Initially, Denise denies trauma in her life. After several meetings, Denise admits that she had become pregnant at the age of 15. She reports wanting to terminate her pregnancy but her parents refused to allow her too. She reports being sent away to a home for unwed mothers to have the baby and surrender it for adoption. She denies ever receiving treatment prior to now. She reports that she was recently contacted by the adoption agency stating that her child wants to meet her.
- Bipolar Disorder
What is Denises current DSM 5 diagnosis? Why? How would you treat her?