You only have to do what is based off Unit 5 Assignment 1, ignore the final paper for now. Giving the final paper description to help with this assignment.
This assignment will be the first component of your final project. It will assess your basic counseling skills as they relate to therapeutic relationship building, goal setting, and treatment planning.
Create a 1015 page hypothetical dialogue that occurs during an initial session with a client. In the dialogue, demonstrate the basic counseling skills of empathy, reflective listening, and summarizing. Also, demonstrate your ability to create a good therapeutic relationship through appropriate goal setting and treatment planning in collaboration with your client. After the dialogue, in 46 additional pages, justify the way you conducted the session with references to at least ten peer-reviewed articles or book chapters.
Be sure to review the scoring guide for this assignment to see how you will be assessed for this assignment. Review the Demonstration of Empirically Supported Counseling Procedures course project description to prepare for the final project and to see how this assignment will be incorporated into the final project.
Demonstration of Empirically Supported Counseling Procedures course project description:
Your project in this course gives you an opportunity to demonstrate all the skills you have learned during the quarter and an opportunity to justify your actions with a hypothetical client, based on empirical evidence from peer-reviewed journals. This project is a wonderful model for what you will have to do over and over again in your career to best help the clients you will be serving. Doing this project well will help you perform better in interviews for practica, internships, and jobs, and will help you understand what to do when you are counseling real clients.
For your final project, you will write a mock dialogue with a suicidal client. In the dialogue you will demonstrate basic counseling skills, including reflective listening, empathy, and summarizing, as well as advanced skills like problem solving and goal setting. You will also need to demonstrate your sensitivity to the diversity characteristics of your client. Once you have agreed on a safety plan with your client, you will go on to develop goals and a treatment plan for future therapy sessions in collaboration with your client.
The dialogue portion of your project should be approximately half of the total length of your final paper. The rest of the paper should explain why you did what you did in the session based on empirical evidence from at least 20 references. Be sure to read the grading criteria in the rubric associated with this assignment carefully, and cover all aspects of the grading criteria in your project to earn the grade you desire.
The first component of the project will be due in Unit 5 and should include most aspects of the final project. The major exceptions are a discussion of ethics and diversity, and the suicide assessment and intervention. Be sure to include these additional elements in the final component of the project, which is due in Unit 10.
To successfully complete this project, you will be expected to:
- Apply basic counseling skills and therapeutic relationship-building skills and procedures.
- Apply advanced counseling and assessment skills.
- Plan appropriate interventions that are consistent with counseling theory and evidence-based practice.
- Apply ethics and diversity theories and principles to counseling skills and procedures.
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate intervention strategies for a suicidal client.
- Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the psychological professions.
To achieve a successful project experience and outcome, you are expected to meet the following requirements.
- Written communication: Content should be free of errors that detract from the overall written message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations should be formatted according to APA 6th edition style and formatting guidelines.
- References: A minimum of 20 resources or references. Text and additional course materials should be used to support assignments. You may use outside references if you desire, but they are not required.
- Number of responses: All required example responses and rationales are provided for each assignment.
- Length of paper: 18 typed double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Arial, 12 point.