Social Determinants of Health and Social Science Theories [WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 2, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, please read Chapters 3, 4, and 6 along with the Moving Upstream: HowLinks to an external site. Interventions That Address the Social Determinants of Health Can Improve Health and Reduce DisparitiesLinks to an external site. article.
In your discussion,
- Identify two social determinants of health that you think have the greatest impact on the health of Americans.
- Use scholarly and government research, including national-level data, to justify your choice. Data from .gov websites (e.g., Center for Disease Control and Prevention and National Institute of HealthLinks to an external site.) are acceptable.
In addition, choose one social science theory from those identified in the Week 2 Instructor Guidance then,
- Describe the key constructs of the theory and use one or two specific examples to discuss how the theory is used in public health interventions to address the social determinant of health that you identified at both state and national levels.
- Identify one real-world public health intervention that addresses the social determinant of health you identified in your community.
- Use scholarly and government research to justify your recommendations.
- Utilize the University of Arizona Global Campus Library resource to help determine what are considered Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible SourcesLinks to an external site..