Place Matters Assignment[WLOs: 1, 2, 3] [CLOs: 2, 3, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please read Chapters 3, 4, and 6, review the Moving Upstream: How Interventions That Address the Social Determinants of Health Can Improve Health and Reduce DisparitiesLinks to an external site. article, and watch the Unnatural Causes: Place MattersLinks to an external site. (30 min.) video.
For your assignment answer the following questions after watching the film, organize your essay in a series of well-structured Body ParagraphsLinks to an external site., making certain to address the following content in an order that effectively develops your ideas (do not use bullet points):
- Summarize the Unnatural Causes: Place Matters video in 250 to 300 words.
- When we think about the environment, we usually think about air pollution, water quality, or toxic waste. List other aspects of our neighborhood environments that might also affect our health.
- Describe how the film supports or contradicts the neighborhood factors you listed in the Neighborhood Features Table created in the discussion forum Place Matters this week. What other factors could you add based on the film?
- Explain why some neighborhoods expose residents to factors that are protective of health, while others expose residents to factors that can threaten their health.
- Critique public policy and private investment decisions that have shaped the two neighborhoods in the film.
- Hypothesize what could be done to improve these neighborhoods in the future so they better promote residents’ health and wellbeing.
- Review your Neighborhood Features Table from your own space and hypothesize what could be done to improve your community’s health and wellbeing.
- Close with an explanation, in detail, of how your suggestions would improve the health of these neighborhoods (those featured in Unnatural Causes and your own).
The Place Matters Assignment paper
- Must be five to seven double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages and formatted according to APA StyleLinks to an external site. as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft WordLinks to an external site. resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (The University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Title of paper in bold font
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic VoiceLinks to an external site. resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & ConclusionsLinks to an external site. and Writing a Thesis StatementLinks to an external site., refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least four scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible SourcesLinks to an external site. table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view Quick and Easy Library ResearchLinks to an external site. tutorial, which introduces the University of Arizona Global Campus Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your PaperLinks to an external site. guide.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References ListLinks to an external site. resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading RubricLinks to an external site. for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.